Hoosiers Defeat Clemson 8-1
February 14, 1999 Hoosiers Defeat Clemson 8-1
Bloomington, Ind.-The Hoosiers rebounded from Saturday's loss to Duke with a 8-1 victory over Clemson today. The win by the Hoosiers also avenged a 5-4 loss to Clemson a year ago.
The Hoosiers dominated singles play losing only one match and not losing a set in the matches they won. Jessica Anderson, whose eight match winning streak ended Saturday, breezed past Catherine Galvin 6 0,6-0. Zahra Ahamed continued her strong play with a victory over Cristina Oldock 6-2,6-1. Amanda Field defeated Cecila Hincapie 7-6,6-2. Ana Ceretto easily defeated Cynthia Clausen 6-0,6 2. Karie Schlukebir defeated Kat-Maree Mair 6-1,6-3.
Doubles once again provided solid play, as the Hoosiers took all three doubles matches. Ahamed and Schlukebir, improved their doubles record to 6-0, win a win over Giraldo and Hincapie 8-5. Kelly Blanch and Becky Wallihan got by Galvin and Mair 8-6. Field and Anderson easily defeated Oldock and Clausen 8-1.
Coach Lin Loring, "It was a great match for us against a team that beat us last year. I thought that we played well in the Duke match and carried it over to today."
The Hoosiers will be back in action next weekend with two home matches. On Friday, Georgia Tech travels to Bloomington from a 2 p.m. match. Then on Sunday, the Hoosiers will take on Marquette at 10 a.m.
Indiana vs Clemson Winner Score
1. Kelly Blanch vs Carmina Giraldo CU 6-1,6-4
2. Jessica Anderson vs Catherine Galvin IU 6-0,6-0
3. Zahra Ahamed vs Cristina Oldock IU 6-2,6-1
4. Amanda Field vs Cecila Hincapie IU 7-6,6-2
5. Ana Ceretto vs Cynthia Clausen IU 6-0,6-2
6. Karie Schlukebir vs Kat-Maree Mair IU 6-1,6-3
1. Blanch/ vs Galvin/ IU 8-6
Becky Wallihan Mair
2. Ahamed/ vs Giraldo/ IU 8-5
3. Anderson/ vs Oldock/ IU 8-1
Check back soon