Bloomington, Ind. The 36-ranked Indiana womens tennis team dropped a heart-breaker to 10th-ranked Duke, 6-1, on Sunday afternoon. Indiana moves to 4-2 on the season.
The Hoosiers came out strong by winning the doubles point after capturing two of the three doubles matches. Seniors Karie Schlukebir and Linda Tran defeated Amanda Johnson and Julia Smith 9-7. Senior Martina Grimm and sophomore Sarah Batty battled with Jenny Zika and Kristin Cargill but pulled out the win, 9-8 in a tie-breaker. Grimm and Batty had gone ahead 7-2 before Zika and Cargill won five straight games.
Indiana began singles action dropping the first two matches to finish and forced its four others into a third set. Tran was the only Hoosier to win her first set. Junior Dora Vastag, Batty and Schlukebir all won their second set to forced the match into a third. The Hoosiers ended up falling in all of their singles matches, but had opportunities to clinch victories in all of them.
1) Amanda Johnson (Duke) def. Dora Vastag (IU); 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
2) Tory Zawacki (Duke) def. Linda Tran (IU); 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
3) Jenny Zika (Duke) def. Sarah Batty (IU); 7-6, 4-6, 6-3
4) Julia Smith (Duke) def. Laura McGaffigan (IU); 6-4, 6-1
5) Saras Arasu (Duke) def. Karie Schlukebir (IU); 7-5, 6-7, 6-2
6) Kristin Cargill (Duke) def. Cecile Perton (IU); 6-1, 6-1