Hoosiers Fall To #55 Georgia Tech 5-4
February 19, 1999Hoosiers Fall To #55 Georgia Tech 5-4
Bloomington, Ind.-Kelly Blanch and Becky Wallihan came back from a 7-2 deficit in the deciding doubles match, only to lose to Bobbi Guthrie and Tamarra Jenkin 9-8 in a tie-breaker. With that lose, the Hoosiers fell to Georgia Tech 5-4.
The Hoosiers began the day with three wins in the singles matches, before dropping the final three singles matches, each in three sets. Jessica Anderson, raised her record to 18-4, with a victory over Xenia Uy 6-2,6-4. At No. 3, Zahra Ahamed defeated Guthrie 6-4,7-6. Ana Ceretto, was also victorious as she defeated Sybi Parker 6-3,6-1.
The Hoosiers lost two out of the three doubles matches. The only doubles win was by Anderson and Amanda Field, who defeated Autumn Richards and Laura Ozolins 8-1.
Coach Lin Loring, "It was a great college tennis match. I thought that we competed very well. The turning point in the match was losing all three-set singles matches. If we could have won one of them, then the match is over."
The Hoosiers return to action this Sunday as they will take on Marquette
at home. The match will take place at 10 a.m. at the IU Tennis Center.
1. Sabrina Paro (GT) d. Kelly Blanch (IU) 4-6,7-6,6-2
2. Jessica Anderson (IU) d. Xenia Uy (GT) 6-2,6-4
3. Zahra Ahamed (IU) d. Bobbi Guthrie (GT) 6-4,7-6
4. Mason Miller (GT) d. Amanda Field (IU) 7-6,4-6,6-4
5. Ana Ceretto (IU) d. Sybi Parker (GT) 6-3,6-1
6. Autumn Richards (GT) d. Ann Poosuthasee (IU) 6-1,4-6,6-3
1. Tamarra Jenkin/Guthrie (GT) d. Blanch/Becky Wallihan (IU) 9-8
2. Pardo/Miller (GT) d. Ahamed/Jennifer Hsia (IU) 8-3
3. Anderson/Field (IU) d. Richards/Laura Ozolins (GT) 8-1
Check back soon