Hoosiers Fall To Minnesota In Big Ten Opener
February 27, 1999 Hoosiers Fall To Minnesota In Big Ten Opener
Bloomington, Minn.-The Hoosiers (5-4) opened the Big Ten season with a 5-2 loss to Minnesota today. After starting the season 5-1, the women have lost their last 3 matches.
The Hoosiers were only able to pick up two singles victories with Amanda Field and Ana Ceretto picking up the wins. Field defeated Tarah Elkins 6-0,6-1 and Ceretto was victorious over Jenny Howard 7-5,6-2.
The Hoosiers lost the only doubles point by dropping two of the three matches. Zahra Ahamed and Jessica Anderson defeated Elkins and Sitinee Rangsithienchai 8-5
Coach Lin Loring, "We played well. We were just overmatched today. Minnesota had all of their players back from the team last year that beat us, while we had lost four or five players. We needed to win the doubles point. We had the chance to win that point with leads in the No. 1 and No. 3 matches, but were not able to hold on."
The Hoosiers will try and end their losing streak next Sunday when they welcome the North Carolina Tar Heels to Bloomington.
Indiana vs. Minnesota Winner Score
1. Kelly Blanch vs. Nora Sauska MN 6-3,6-1
2. Zahra Ahamed vs. Kim Simonsen MN 7-5,6-2
3. Jessica Anderson vs. Sitinee Rangsithienchai MN 6-0,0-6,6-3
4. Amanda Field vs. Tarah Elkins IU 6-0,6-1
5. Ana Ceretto vs. Jenny Howard IU 7-5,6-2
6. Ann Poosuthasee vs. Jana Hrdinova MN 6-3,6-3
1. Blanch/ vs. Simonsen/ MN 8-6
Becky Wallihan Hrdinova
2. Ahamed/ vs. Elkins/ IU 8-5
3. Poosuthasee/ vs. Sauska/ MN 8-5
Check back soon