Milwaukee, Wis. The 26th-ranked Indiana womens tennis team captured its second sweep of the season, defeating Marquette 7-0. Indiana improves to 6-2 on the season.
The Hoosiers captured the doubles point with all three doubles teams winning their respective matches. The 45th-ranked doubles team of seniors Karie Schlukebir and Linda Tran defeated Dabrowski and Briseno 8-4, while the 44th-ranked doubles team of senior Martina Grimm and sophomore Sarah Batty captured an 8-2 win over Trujillo-Herrera and Charron. Junior Dora Vastag and freshman Laura McGaffigan had an 8-4 win over Espinosa and Smith.
Indiana was able to carry its momentum into singles as Hoosiers captured wins at all six positions. Vastag, the 30th-ranked player in the country, captured a 6-3, 6-4 win over Briseno. Batty captured an easy 6-0, 6-0 win over Charron. McGaffigan defeated Smith 6-0, 6-4. Freshman Cecile Perton was the only Hoosier to drop a set, but pulled out the win in a third-set tiebreaker, 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (6) over Espinosa. Grimm playing in her first singles match of the dual season defeated Bonnelly, 6-1, 6-0.
Indiana plays again at 10 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 29 when it faces the 20th-ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish in South Bend, Ind.
Indiana- 7, Marquette- 0
1) Dora Vastag (IU) def. Veronica Garcia Briseno (MU); 6-3, 6-4
2) Sarah Batty (IU) def. Genevieve Charron (MU); 6-0, 6-0
3) Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Callan Smith (MU); 6-0, 6-4
4) Karie Schlukebir (IU) def. Eva Trujillo-Herrera (MU); 6-4, 6-3
5) Cecile Perton (IU) def. Annabelle Espinose (MU); 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (6)
6) Martina Grimm (IU) def. Francina Bonnelly (MU); 6-1, 6-0