Women's Losing Extends To Four With Lose To North Carolina 7-2
March 7, 1999 Women's Losing Extends To Four With Lose To North Carolina 7-2
Bloomington, Ind.-The Hoosiers dropped their fourth straight match today to North Carolina 7-2. After starting the season off with a 4-0 record, the women are now 5-5.
Indiana was swept by the Tar Heels in singles, dropping all six matches. The Hoosiers took three matches into the third-set, with Zahra Ahamed coming closest to victory. Ahamed lost to Sarah Hawkins 2-6,6-3,7-6.
The doubles were again a strength for the Hoosiers as they picked up wins in two of the three matches. Ahamed and Ana Ceretto picked up the Hoosiers first win of the day by defeating Caroline Hill and Courtney Zalinsky 8-3. Kelly Blanch and Jessica Anderson closed the day out for the Hoosiers with a victory, defeating Cena Hackler and Jessica Zaganczyk 8-4.
Coach Lin Loring, "It was a frustrating match. We put over selves in a position to win four of the singles matches. In several cases, it was not playing smart tennis that hurt us, which was very disappointing. The doubles teams were surprisingly very competitive, especially since we were playing with three new teams."
The Hoosiers will try and return to their winning way when they travel to West Lafayette, Indiana, next Saturday for a match against interstate and Big Ten rival Purdue.
1. Jessica Zaganczyk (NC) def. Jessica Anderson (IU) 6-1,7-6
2. Sarah Hawkins (NC) def. Zahra Ahamed (IU) 2-6,6-3,7-6
3. Caroline Hill (NC) def. Kelly Blanch (IU) 4-6,6-4,6-4
4. Courtney Zalinsky (NC) def. Amanda Field (IU) 7-6,6-2
5. Cena Hackler (NC) def. Ana Ceretto (IU) 2-6,7-5,6-3
6. Jeni Brunette (NC) def. Ann Poosuthasee (IU) 6-4,6-1
1. Blanch/Anderson (IU) def. Hackler/Zaganczyk (NC) 8-4
2. Ahamed/Ceretto (IU) def. Hill/Zalinski (NC) 8-3
3. Hawkins/Brunette (NC) def. Jennifer Hsia/Field (IU) 9-7
North Carolina 7
Check back soon