Fall to No. 20 TCU, 5-2
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - After an 11-day layoff, the No. 27 Indiana women's tennis team lost 5-2 to No. 20 TCU on Thursday afternoon in the IU Varsity Tennis Center. With the loss, the Hoosiers fall to 6-6 on the year, while the Horned Frogs improve to 9-1.
TCU claimed the initial two doubles matches en route to securing the tandem point. The Horned Frog twosome of junior Helena Besovica and senior Karla Mancinas topped freshman Brianna Williams and sophomore Laura McGaffigan at No. 2 by the score of 8-3. The pair of senior Story Tweedie-Yates and sophomore Ana Cetnik, ranked 52nd in the nation, bested senior Dominika Walterova and junior Sarah Batty, 8-4, at the top position.
The IU duo of senior Dora Vastag and sophomore Cecile Perton earned a win over freshman Andrea Morgado and senior Paige Brown, 8-7 (4), at No. 3. The pair improved to 13-4 overall and 7-2 in dual matches.
"I though that we were a little rusty in the doubles matches," Indiana head coach Lin Loring said. "They also had some players that just hit the ball super-sonic at one and two. They just overpowered us. They hit really big."
McGaffigan evened the match with a straight-set win over freshman Kewa Nichols, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3. The Davenport, Iowa, native improved to 17-7 overall and 9-4 this spring.
"Laura did a good job at No. 3," Loring said. "She did a great job of neutralizing that girl's [Kewa Nichols] power. That was a good win for her."
TCU pushed its advantage to 3-1 as Cetnik downed Walterova, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 4, and Tweedie-Yates, ranked 17th, upended Vastag, ranked 99th, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 1.
The Horned Frogs clinched the match when Besovic, ranked 52nd, beat Batty, 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, at No. 2.
"One through four all hit the ball huge for TCU," Loring said. "We had a real hard time keeping up with them."
Perton notched her 15th win of the year with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 victory over freshman Andrea Morgado at the No. 6 slot. The Briey, France, product is now 7-4 on the spring season.
The Hoosiers will return to the courts on Sunday, March 13, for their Big Ten opener at Penn State. The match is slated to begin at 10 a.m.
"We will be ready for Penn State on Sunday," Loring said. `This match today will get us ready. We'll have tomorrow off and practice some on Saturday at Penn State. I'm really confident we will be ready."
No. 20 TCU 5, No. 27 Indiana 2
IU Varsity Tennis Center
1. #52 Story Tweedie-Yates/Ana Cetnik (TCU) def. Sarah Batty/Dominika Walterova (IU), 8-4
2. Helena Besovic/Karla Mancinas (TCU) def. Laura McGaffigan/Brianna Williams (IU), 8-3
3. Dora Vastag/Cecile Perton (IU) def. Andrea Morgado/Paige Brown (TCU), 8-7 (4)
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3)
1. #17 Story Tweedie-Yates (TCU) def. #99 Dora Vastag (IU), 6-1, 6-1
2. #52 Helena Besovic (TCU) def. Sarah Batty (IU), 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
3. Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Kewa Nichols (TCU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Ana Cetnik (TCU) def. Dominika Walterova (IU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Gloriann Lopez (TCU) def. Brianna Williams (IU), 6-4, 6-7 (6), 2-1, ret. injury
6. Cecile Perton (IU) def. Andrea Morgado (TCU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: (3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6)
No. 27 Indiana is now 6-6
No. 20 TCU is now 9-1
Time of Match: 3:20
Check back soon