College Station, Texas The 23rd-ranked Indiana women’s tennis team fell, 6-1, to the 18th-ranked Texas A&M Aggies on Tuesday, March 16th. The Hoosiers drop to 8-4 overall for the dual season. Texas A&M remains undefeated at home this spring, and improves to 11-6 overall.
Indiana jumped out to the early lead by capturing the doubles point behind the dominating performances of duos sophomore Sarah Batty and senior Linda Tran and senior Karie Schlukebir and junior Dora Vastag. Batty and Tran defeated Roland and Walker, 8-3, and Schlukebir and Vastag downed Lee and Lubinsky, 8-4.
Texas A&M was able to come on strong in singles and capture a sweep at all six positions. Freshman Laura McGaffigan was the final Hoosier to complete her match, and the only member to take a set against the Aggies. McGaffigan won the first set over Lauren Walker before falling in the second and third, 4-6, 6-0, 6-1.
The Hoosiers continue their travels through the Lonestar state as they take on Texas Christian on Thursday, March 18 at 2 p.m.
No. 18 Texas A&M-6, No. 23 Indiana-1
1) Jessica Roland (A&M) def. Dora Vastag (IU); 6-3, 6-0
2) Helga Vieira (A&M) def. Linda Tran (IU); 6-2, 6-4
3) Roberta Spencer (A&M. def. Sarah Batty (IU); 7-6 (1), 6-1
4) Lauren Walker (A&M) def. Laura McGaffigan; 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
5) Nicki Mechem (A&M) def. Karie Schlukebir (IU); 6-2, 7-5
6) Anna Lubinsky (A&M) def. Cecile Perton (IU); 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 1, 5, 3, 6, 4