Hoosiers Fall to Texas Christian in Battle of Singles
1!-- ... -->
Fort Worth, Texas The 23rd-ranked Indiana womens tennis team fell, 5-2, to 40th-ranked Texas Christian in what came down to a battle in singles. Indiana is now 8-5 on the season, and Texas Christian improves to 7-6 and extends its winning streak to five matches.
Indiana went down early losing the doubles point. Senior Martina Grimm and freshman Laura McGaffigan captured Indianas only doubles win, 8-5, over Aburto and Mancinas.
It appeared Indiana was in trouble going down 3-0 early, before junior Dora Vastag, McGaffigan, senior Karie Schlukebir and freshman Cecile Perton forced their matches into a third set. Of those four matches, only Vastag and Schlukebir were able to pull out wins. Vastag defeated 39th-ranked Paty Aburto, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, while Schlukebir was victorious over Karla Mancinas, 6-, 2-6, 6-3.
This marks Indianas first lost to Texas Christian. The Hoosiers had previously defeated the Horned Frogs in all 10 matches played between the two schools.
Indiana remains on the road as it opens Big Ten play. Indiana takes on 71st-ranked Wisconsin on Saturday, March 27 at 11 a.m. The Hoosiers then are set to play sixth-ranked Northwestern at 11 a.m. on Sunday, March 28.
No. 40 Texas Christian-5, No. 23 Indiana-2
1) Dora Vastag (IU) def. Paty Aburto (TCU); 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
2) Jenn Chay (TCU) def. Linda Tran (IU); 6-4, 6-2
3) Saber Pierce (TCU) def. Sarah Batty (IU); 6-0, 7-6
4) Ana Cetnik (TCU) def. Laura McGaffigan (IU); 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
5) Karie Schlukebir (IU) def. Karla Mancinas (TCU); 6-0, 2-6, 6-3
6) Gloriann Lopez (TCU) def. Cecile Perton (IU); 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 6