Best Boilermakers, 5-2
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The No. 43 Indiana women's tennis team improved to 2-0 in the Big Ten with a 4-3 win over No. 61 Purdue on Saturday afternoon at the Lafayette Sports Center. The Hoosiers are now 8-7 on the year, while the Boilermakers drop to 2-9 overall and 0-2 in league action.
"This was a great win for us," Indiana head coach Lin Loring said. "Purdue is a very good team. They have a very deceiving record and have played a lot of close matches this year. We are 2-0 in the Big Ten now and we won both of those matches on the road."
The Cream and Crimson claimed the all-important doubles point, sweeping the three tandem matches. Senior Dominika Walterova and junior Sarah Batty beat seniors Lara Burgarello and Shawna Zuccarini, 8-5, at No. 1.
Sophomore Laura McGaffigan and freshman Brianna Williams won 8-5 at No. 2 over freshman Brooke Beier and Stephanie Wooten, and senior Dora Vastag and sophomore Cecile Perton bested sophomores Hala Sufi and Alyssa Rodriguez, 8-5, at No. 3.
"Doubles was very close," Loring said. "At one point all of the matches were tied at 3-3. We knew we would have to hang tough in all of the matches. We did that, and ended up winning all three of them."
In singles action, Vastag upended Sufi, ranked 74th in the country, at the No. 1 slot, 6-3, 6-1, and McGaffigan took down Zuccarini, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3.
"Both of those players at No. 1 and 3 hit the ball really big," Loring said. "Dora and Laura both played great and handled their power."
Perton decided the match with a three-set victory over senior Amy Walgenbach, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, at No. 6.
"What a great match for Cecile," Loring said. "It was a tough, three-set contest that ended up deciding the entire match."
The Hoosiers will return to the courts on Sunday, March 27, for a Big Ten match at No. 51 Illinois. The contest is slated to begin at 10 a.m.
No. 43 Indiana 4, No. 61 Purdue 3
West Lafayette, Ind.
Lafayette Sports Center
1. Batty/Walterova (IU) def. Burgarello/Zuccarini (PU) 8-5
2. Williams/McGaffigan (IU) def. Beier/Wooten (PU) 8-7
3. Perton/Vastag (IU) def. Rodriguez/Sufi (PU) 8-5
1. Dora Vastag (IU) def. #74 Hala Sufi (PU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Stephanie Wooten (PU) def. Sarah Batty (IU) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 (3)
3. Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Shawna Zuccarini (PU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Brooke Beier (PU) def. Dominika Walterova (IU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Alyssa Rodriguez (PU) def. Brianna Williams (IU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Cecile Perton (IU) def. Amy Walgenbach (PU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
Order of singles finish: 3, 1, 5, 4, 6, 2
Order of doubles finish: 3, 1, 2
Check back soon