Beat Illinois, Now 3-0 in Big Ten
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - The No. 43 Indiana women's tennis team won its second Big Ten match in as many days with a 4-3 victory over No. 51 Illinois on Sunday afternoon in the Atkins Tennis Center. With the win, the Hoosiers are now 3-0 in league play and 9-7 on the year, while the Illini slip to 8-6 overall and 2-1 in conference action.
"This was total team effort win today," Indiana head coach Lin Loring said. "We had everyone on the team contribute in some way. Everybody either won a doubles or singles match today. When we do that we are a tough team to beat."
The Cream and Crimson secured the doubles point and won three of the singles contests en route to the win. IU has won all three of its Big Ten matches on the road this year.
"This is a great start to our Big Ten season," Loring said. "This match was very close today, and so was the one yesterday with Purdue. They could have gone either way, but it was a very successful weekend for us to win them both."
Indiana claimed the doubles point by sweeping all three of the tandem matches. Senior Dominika Walterova and junior Sarah Batty upended junior Brianna Knue and freshman Macall Harkins, 8-4, at the No. 1 spot. The IU twosome evens their spring mark to 3-3.
Sophomore Laura McGaffigan and freshman Brianna Williams downed senior Cynthya Goulet and junior Pavlina Akritas, 8-3, at No. 2, and senior Dora Vastag and sophomore Cecile Perton got the best of freshmen Alejandra Cuadra and Momei Qu, 8-4, at the No. 3 spot.
McGaffigan and Williams square their spring slate at 6-6, while Vastag and Perton are now 10-3 in 2005 and 16-5 overall.
Batty made the match 2-0 in favor of the Hoosiers with a straight-set, 6-3, 6-1, win at No. 2 over Harkins. The Chesterfield, England, product is now 10-6 in dual matches and 13-7 overall.
Williams and Perton sealed the match for IU with conquests at No. 5 and 6, respectively. Williams bested Cuadra, 6-0, 6-3, and Perton battled back to beat Akritas in three-sets, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Vastag fell to Goulet, ranked 59th in the nation, 6-1, 6-4 at No. 1, Qu edged McGaffigan, 3-6, 6-0, 6-4, at No. 3, and Knue upended Walterova, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3, at No. 4.
The Hoosiers will return to the courts on Friday, April 1, for a Big Ten match against No. 2 Northwestern. The contest is slated to begin at 4 p.m.
No. 43 Indiana 4, No. 51 Illinois 3
Atkins Tennis Center
1. Dominika Walterova/Sarah Batty (IND) def. Brianna Knue/Macall Harkins (ILL) 8-4
2. Laura McGaffigan/Brianna Williams (IND) def. Cynthya Goulet/Pavlina Akritas (ILL) 8-3
3. Dora Vastag/Cecile Perton (IND) def. Momei Qu/Alejandra Cuadra (ILL) 8-4
1. #59 Cynthya Goulet (ILL) def. Dora Vastag (IND) 6-1, 6-4
2. Sarah Batty (IND) def. Macall Harkins (ILL) 6-3, 6-1
3. Momei Qu (ILL) def. Laura McGaffigan (IND) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
4. Brianna Knue (ILL) def. Dominika Walterova (IND) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
5. Brianna Williams (IND) def. Alejandra Cuadra (ILL) 6-0, 6-3
6. Cecile Perton (IND) def. Pavlina Akritas (ILL) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
Check back soon