Hoosiers Fall To #26 Ohio State
March 27, 1999 Hoosiers Fall To #26 Ohio State
Bloomington, Ind.-The Hoosiers (6-7) were unable to capture a win in either of the two three-set matches as they fell to #26 Ohio State 4-3 today.
The Hoosiers started the day off good as they won two of the three doubles matches. At No. 2, Zahra Ahamed and Ana Ceretto remained undefeated (4-0) as a team with a win over Michelle Matko and Monica Rincon 8-4. Jessica Anderson and Amanda Field defeated Kandri Kanepi and Claudia Castro 8-2.
In singles, Indiana got wins from Kelly Blanch and Ana Ceretto. Blanch ended her 10-match losing streak by defeating Briana Harris 6-3,6-1. Ana Ceretto defeated Claudia Castro 6-3,6-4. The Hoosiers were unable to win either three-set match. Ann Poosuthasee was edged out by Laura Maloney 6-3,1-6,6-4. Amanda Field, also could not hold on to a third-set lead, losing to Monica Rincon 6-2,5-7,6-3.
Coach Lin Loring, "The thing that has killed us all year is three-set matches. We are ahead in match and let them go. The same thing happened today. It would have been a great win for us. We put ourselves in the position to win but didn't get it done."
Indiana will try and rebound from today's loss against Penn State tomorrow. The match will take place in Bloomington, Indiana and will begin at 10 a.m.
1. Kristy Dascoli (OSU) def. Jessica Anderson (IU) 6-2,6-1
2. Michelle Matko (OSU) def. Zahra Ahamed (IU) 6-4,7-5
3. Kelly Blanch (IU) def. Briana Harris (OSU) 6-3,6-1
4. Monica Rincon (OSU) def. Amanda Field (IU) 6-2,5-7,7-3
5. Ana Ceretto (IU) def. Claudia Castro (OSU) 6-3,6-4
6. Laura Maloney (OSU) def. Ann Poosuthasee (IU) 6-3,1-6,6-4
1. Dascoli/Harris (OSU) def. Blanch/Becky Wallihan (IU) 8-3
2. Ahamed/Ceretto (IU) def. Matko/Rincon (OSU) 8-4
3. Anderson/Field (IU) def. Castro/Kadri Kanepi (OSU) 8-2
Ohio State 4
Check back soon