Bloomington, Ind. The Indiana womens tennis team made quick work of Penn State on Sunday. The Hoosiers (11-6, 3-1 Big Ten) defeated the Lady Lions by a score of 6-1.
The Hoosiers jumped out early winning the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 position. The tandem of senior Linda Tran and sophomore Sarah Batty had an 8-3 win over Megan Marton and Leigh Ann Merryman. Tran and Batty are now 6-1 overall and 3-0 in the Big Ten. Junior Dora Vastag and freshman Laura McGaffigan wrapped up the point for the Hoosiers with an 8-3 win over Sarah Spence and Maaria Husain.
Indiana took the match with four straight set victories and one victory in a third set tiebreaker in singles. Vastag downed Merryman 6-4, 6-2. Tran won the first set, dropped the second and fought to win in a tiebreaker, 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (9) over Marton. McGaffigan beat Spence 6-2, 6-2. Senior Karie Schlukebir downed Sasha Abraham 6-3, 7-6. The Hoosiers final singles win came from freshman Cecile Perton who made quick work of Lindsay Downing, winning 6-0, 6-0.
Indiana will begin a four-match road trip when it travels to Michigan and Michigan State next weekend. The Hoosiers face 20th-ranked Michigan on Saturday, April 10 at 11 a.m. and Michigan State on Sunday, April 11 at 11 a.m.
1. Dora Vastag (IU) def. Leigh Ann Merryman (PSU); 6-4, 6-2
2. Linda Tran (IU) def. Megan Marton (PSU); 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (9)
3. Maaria Husain (PSU) def. Sarah Batty (IU); 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (5)
4. Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Sarah Spence (PSU); 6-2, 6-2
5. Karie Schlukebir (IU) def. Sasha Abraham (PSU); 6-3, 7-6
6. Cecile Perton (IU) def. Lindsay Downing (PSU); 6-0, 6-0