IU Stumbles at Iowa
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - The No. 37 Indiana women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 Big Ten decision to No. 49 Iowa on Sunday afternoon. The Hoosiers are now 12-10 overall, while the Hawkeyes move to 12-7. Both squads are 6-2 in conference action.
"We should have had some matches be much closer today," Indiana head coach Lin Loring said. "Give Iowa credit, they really took it to us."
The Cream and Crimson picked up its lone win of the day as the duo of senior Dominika Walterova and junior Sarah Batty defeated sophomore Meg Racette and freshman Milica Veselinovic at No. 1 doubles. The IU duo is now 7-5 on the year, but moved their Big Ten mark to 7-1. Walterova and Batty lost their lone league match to then No. 1 Audra Cohen and Cristelle Grier of Northwestern on April 1.
This was only the second road loss for the Hoosiers in Big Ten play over the last two years. The Cream and Crimson was 9-1, over its last 10 league road matches, before the defeat today. IU was edged last season, March 28, 2004, at then-No. 6 Northwestern. IU was 4-0 away from home this year before today's contest.
"We have been so consistent on the road the last two seasons," Loring said. "We just had a letdown today."
The Hoosiers will return home next weekend for the final two Big Ten matches of the year against No. 36 Michigan and No. 74 Michigan State. The Hoosiers will meet the Wolverines on Friday April 22 at 4 p.m., and the Spartans on Sunday, April 24 at 10 a.m.
"We are tied with Iowa for second place in the conference now," Loring said. "The two matches next weekend will be very important for us."
#49 Iowa 7, #37 Indiana 0
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1. Meg Racette (IOWA) def. #101 Dora Vastag (IND) 6-4, 6-0
2. Hillary Mintz (IOWA) def. Sarah Batty (IND) 6-3, 6-4
3. Anastasia Zhukova (IOWA) def. Laura McGaffigan (IND) 6-3, 6-0
4. Milica Veselinovic (IOWA) def. Dominika Walterova (IND) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Jacqueline Lee (IOWA) def. Brianna Williams (IND) 6-1, 6-3
6. Hilary Tyler (IOWA) def. Cecile Perton (IND) 7-6 (3), 6-4
1. Dominika Walterova/Sarah Batty (IND) def. Meg Racette/Milica Veselinovic (IOWA) 8-7 (3)
2. Hilary Tyler/Anastasia Zhukova (IOWA) def. Laura McGaffigan/Brianna Williams (IND) 8-5
3. Jacqueline Lee/Hillary Mintz (IOWA) def. Dora Vastag/Cecile Perton (IND) 8-5
Check back soon