Hoosiers Edged Out By Northwestern 4-3
April 18, 1999 Hoosiers Edged Out By Northwestern 4-3
Bloomington, IN-The doubles point was the deciding factor as the Hoosiers fell to #23 Northwestern 4-3 today.
The Hoosiers (9-12, 4-4 Big Ten) fell behind early by losing the doubles point. The No. 2 team of Zahra Ahamed and Jennifer Hsia defeated Colleen Cheng and Lia Jackson 8-4. However, the Hoosiers struggled at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions and dropped those two matches.
The women bounced back to split the singles matches. After dropping the first two matches, the Hoosiers won the next two. Ana Ceretto, playing at the No. 5 position, defeated Lia Jackson 6-4,6-2. At No. 3, Ahamed was able to win two tiebreakers as she defeated Laura Guignon 7-6,7-6. The match came down to two three set matches. Jessica Anderson won her three-set match over last year's Big Ten Player-of-the Year Katherine Nasser 2-6,6-2,7-6. Kelly Blanch lost her three-set match to Shannon Duffy 4-6,6-2,6-4.
Coach Lin Loring said, "It was a great match. We played well. Northwestern is the top team in the Big Ten and we played them close. The girls now understand that they can play with any Big Ten team on any given day. We should have won the doubles point, we struggled at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. It was a great singles match for Jessica (Anderson). The girl (Katherine Nasser) that she played was the Big Ten Player-of-the-Year last year, while Jessica has moved up to the No. 1 position from the No. 5 position since last year."
The Hoosiers will finish their regular season next weekend as they will be away for two matches. On April 24, they will face Iowa at 11 a.m. and on April 25, they will visit Wisconsin for a match beginning at 10 a.m.
1. Jessica Anderson (IU) def. Katherine Nasser (NU) 2-6,6-2,7-6
2. Shannon Duffy (NU) def. Kelly Blanch (IU) 4-6,6-2,6-4
3. Zahra Ahamed (IU) def. Laura Guignon (NU) 7-6,7-6
4. Colleen Cheng (NU) def. Amanda Field (IU) 6-0,6-3
5. Ana Ceretto (IU) def. Lia Jackson (NU) 6-4,6-2
6. Jennifer Lutgert (NU) def. Becky Wallihan (IU) 6-1,6-4
1. Nasser/Guignon (NU) def. Blanch/Wallihan (IU) 8-3
2. Ahamed/Jennifer Hsia (IU) def. Cheng/Jackson (NU) 8-4
3. Duffy/Lutgert (NU) def. Anderson/Field (IU) 8-4
Check back soon