Hoosiers Fall To Iowa 4-3
April 24, 1999Hoosiers Fall To Iowa 4-3
Iowa City, IA-The 68th-ranked women's tennis team fell to 42nd-ranked Iowa 4-3 today. With the loss the Hoosiers fall to 9-13 on the season, while going 4-5 in the Big Ten.
The Hoosiers began the day by winning the doubles point. The No. 1 team of Kelly Blanch and Becky Wallihan defeated Toni Neykova and Shera Wiegler 8-4. At No. 2, Zahra Ahamed and Jennifer Hsia were victorious over Emily Bampton and Natalya Dawaf 9-8.
The Hoosiers, however, could not split the singles matches, as they dropped four out of the six matches. Their wins came by Jessica Anderson at No. 1 and Zahra Ahamed at No. 3. Anderson defeated Toni Neykova 6-2,6-1. Ahamed won her match over Natayla Dawaf 6-3,6-4. The deciding victory occurred when Ana Ceretto was defeated by Erica Johnson 7-5,6-4.
The Hoosiers will end their regular season tomorrow as they travel to Madison, Wisconsin for a match against Wisconsin. The match will begin at 10 a.m.
Singles1. Jessica Anderson (IU) def. Toni Neykova (UI) 6-1,6-2
2. Shera Wiegler (UI) def. Kelly Blanch (IU) 7-5,7-6
3. Zahra Ahamed (IU) def. Natalya Dawaf (UI) 6-3,6-4
4. Emily Bampton (UI) def. Amanda Field (IU) 6-3,6-4
5. Erica Johnson (UI) def. Ana Ceretto (IU) 7-5,6-4
6. Erin Wolverton (UI) def. Jennifer Hsia (IU) 4-6,7-5,7-5
Doubles1. Blanch/Becky Wallihan (IU) def. Neykova/Wiegler (UI) 8-4
2. Ahamed/Hsia (IU) def. Bampton/Dawaf (UI) 9-8
3. Johnson/Wolvertont (UI) def. Anderson/Field (IU) 9-8
Indiana 4 Iowa 3
Check back soon