Hoosiers Fall To Wisconsin 5-2
April 25, 1999Hoosiers Fall To Wisconsin 5-2
Madison, WI-The 68th-ranked women's tennis team fell to the 61st-ranked Wisconsin (10-11 overall, 8-2 Big Ten) 5-2 in Madison, Wisconsin today. The Hoosiers ended the regular season with a 9-14 overall record while going 4-6 in the Big Ten.
The Hoosiers dropped the doubles point to begin the day. Kelly Blanch and Becky Wallihan lost at the No. 1 position. Zahra Ahamed and Jennifer Hsia defeated Andrea Nathan and Dena Baritot 8-2 at No. 2. Jessica Anderson and Amanda Field lost in the deciding match to Debbie Reynolds and Katie Dougherty in a tiebreaker 9-8.
In singles, the women were able to win only two of the matches. At No. 3, Zahra Ahamed defeated April Gabler 6-4,4-6,6-1. Amanda Field, playing at the No. 4 position, defeated Dena Baritot 7-6,6-1. The Hoosiers lost the rest of the matches in straight sets.
The Hoosiers will try and win their second straight Big Ten Championship next weekend. The Championships, which will take place in East Lansing, Michigan, will take place from April 29 to May 2.
Singles1. Barbara Urbanska (UW) def. Jessica Anderson (IU) 6-3,6-3
2. Andrea Nathan (UW) def. Kelly Blanch (IU) 6-2,6-3
3. Zahra Ahamed (IU) def. April Gabler (UW) 6-4,4-6,6-1
4. Amanda Field (IU) def. Dena Baritot (UW) 7-6,6-1
5. Debbie Reynolds (UW) def. Ana Ceretto (IU) 6-4,7-5
6. Roz Sweeney (UW) def. Jennifer Hsia (IU) 6-2,6-2
Doubles1. Urbanska/Gabler (UW) def. Blanch/Becky Wallihan (IU) 8-0
2. Ahamed/Hsia (IU) def. Nathan/Baritot (UW) 8-2
3. Reynolds/Katie Dougherty (UW) def. Anderson/Field (IU) 9-8
Check back soon