Hoosiers Fall To Wisconsin 4-3
April 30, 1999 Hoosiers Fall To Wisconsin 4-3
East Lansing, MI-The Hoosiers (10-15, 5-7 Big Ten) fell in their bid for their second straight Big Ten Championship with a loss to 2nd-seeded Wisconsin 4-3. The teams split the singles matches, but the doubles point proved the deciding point once again
The Hoosiers dropped the doubles point to begin the day. Kelly Blanch and Becky Wallihan lost at the No. 1 position to April Gabler and Andrea Nathan. Andrea Nathan and Dena Baritot defeated Zahra Ahamed and Jennifer Hsia 8-3 at No. 2. Jessica Anderson and Ana Ceretto, playing at the No. 3, had their match suspended with them ahead 7-3.
The women split the six singles matches. Anderson was victorious over Barb Urbankska 6-3,1-6,6-4 at the No. 1 position. At No. 3, Ahamed defeated Gabler 6-4,6-3. Amanda Field, playing at the No. 4 position, defeated Dena Baritot 6-0,6-0. The Hoosiers dropped theit matches at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6.
The Hoosiers will now wait till find out if they made the NCAA Championships, which begin in the middle of May.
Singles1. Jessica Anderson (IU) def. Barb Urbanska (UW) 6-3,1-6,6-4
2. Andrea Nathan (UW) def. Kelly Blanch (IU) 6-2,6-3
3. Zahra Ahamed (IU) def. April Gabler (UW) 6-4,6-3
4. Amanda Field (IU) def. Dena Baritot (UW) 6-0,6-0
5. Debbie Reynolds (UW) def. Ana Ceretto (IU) 7-5,6-3
6. Roz Sweeney (UW) def. Ann Poosuthasee (IU) 6-2,3-6,7-5
Doubles1. Urbanska/Gabler (UW) def. Blanch/Becky Wallihan (IU) 8-1
2. Nathan/Baritot (UW) def. Ahamed/Hsia (IU) 8-3
Check back soon