Kalamazoo, Mich. - The Indiana women's tennis team struggled in day two action at the Bronco Invitational hosted by Western Michigan University on Saturday, falling to both Marquette and Ball State in singles action.
The Hoosiers got wins from Sarah Batty and Jessica Groth against Marquette, with Batty beating Eva Trujillo-Herrera, 6-3, 6-0 at the number one position and Groth downing Alexandra Stankovic, 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (9) at five. However, the rest of the Hoosiers would not be as successful against Marquette, with Martina Grimm, Dominika Walterova and Sophie Rychlik falling at two, three and four, respectively. All three lost in straight sets.
Indiana also competed against Ball State, with Batty and Grimm winning at one and two and Walterova, Rychlik and Groth falling at three, four and five. Batty downed Ball State's Melissa Roach, 6-7 (2), 6-4, 1-0 (6), and Grimm got her win over Leisa Brookes, 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (8).
As far as doubles action is concerned, the Hoosiers' only action came against Drake, where Batty and Walterova beat Cynthia Skogerboe and Melinda Fenimore, 8-6 at one and Rychlik and Grimm fell to Annali DeBruyn and Thomas, 9-8 (4) at two.
Day three action at the Bronco Invitational resumes tomorrow.
Bronco Invitational (Complete Results for Indiana through two days)
WMU vs Indiana University
1. Frederika Girsang (WMU) def. Sarah Batty (IU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (8)
2. Melanie Peters (WMU) def. Martina Grimm (IU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Valeria Stoilova (WMU) def. Dominika Walterova (IU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Rattiya Hiranrat (WMU) def. Sophie Rychlik (IU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Shamim Mayanja (WMU) def. Jessica Groth (IU) 6-2, 6-2
Indiana vs Marquette
1. Sarah Batty (IU) def. Eva Trujillo-Herrera (MU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Michelle Mojzis (MU) def. Martina Grimm (IU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Veronica Briseno (MU) def. Dominika Walterova (IU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ana Pavlovic (MU) def. Sophie Rychlik (IU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Jessica Groth (IU) def. Alexandra Stankovic (MU) 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (9)