IU Wins 13 On First Day Of Hoosier Classic (10/3/03)
October 3, 2003
Indiana Wins 13 On First Day Of Hoosier Classic
1!-- ... -->
Bloomington, Ind. Indiana continued its fall tournament schedule on Friday, Oct. 3 as it hosted the Hoosier Classic. Indiana opened the first day of the tournament winning 13 of its matches.
The Indiana singles lineup won eight of its matches. Seniors Martina Grimm, Karie Schlukebir and Linda Tran, juniors Dora Vastag and Dominika Walterova and freshmen Laura McGaffigan, Cecile Perton and Kara Zeder all claimed victories to advance in their respected flights.
In doubles action, Indiana won five matches. Top doubles team Schlukebir and Tran advance to the semifinals of their flight, while the doubles team of Grimm and sophomore Sarah Batty were forced to default both of their matches. The doubles team of Vastag and McGaffigan lost their opening match, but won their second match.
In the other flight of doubles, Perton and Zeder won both of their matches to advance to the final.
The Hoosier will again take the courts at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 4 at the IU Varsity Tennis Courts.
Indiana Day One Results
1) Linda Tran (IU) def. Maria Rosenberg (Kansas State) 6-4, 6-3
2) Dora Vastag (IU) def. Melissa Spencer (Murray State) 6-4, 6-1
3) Prapaiphan Kansuthi (EMU) def. Sarah Batty (IU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10)
4) Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Daysi Espinal (LSU) 7-6 (2), 6-2
5) Martina Grimm (IU) def. Julia Hierl (UL) 6-1, 6-2
6) Karie Schlukebir (IU) def. Erika Josbena (Missouri) 7-5, 6-4
7) Cecile Perton (IU) def. Hiede Jansma (Iowa) 6-2, 6-2
8) Kara Zeder (IU) def. Marijana Adzic (EMU) 6-0, 6-1
9) Dominika Walterova (IU) def. Kelly Crull (Missouri) 6-0, 6-1