Women's Cross Country

    Jessica Gall - Hoosiers Training Log from the Indiana Dunes Intensive Training Camp

    Go Hoosiers! Senior Jessica Gall returns for her final year as a Hoosier.
    Go Hoosiers!
    Senior Jessica Gall returns for her final year as a Hoosier.
    Go Hoosiers!

    Aug. 26, 2006

    The following is the daily training log of Indiana senior Jessica Gall from the team's Indiana Dunes Intensive Training Camp.

    Monday, August 21, 2006:
    We ran on our own in the morning before loading up the vans and a quick stop for lunch in Indianapolis. After a long drive up north, we finally arrived at our rental house in Michigan City right next to the Lake Michigan beach called the Reunion House. After getting settled in our respective rooms, we laced up our shoes and went for an easy run around the Beachwalk Neighborhood. I've decided to document my last year here at IU on video camera, so that evening I spent a lot of time annoying my teammates with my amateur movie skills while they tried to watch the Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders reality show on the NFL channel on TV.

    Tuesday, August 22, 2006:
    We got up early and drove to a crushed gravel path where every quarter mile is marked. We did our traditional two-mile warm-up and then split up into groups to do a hard workout. My group did 1/2 mile, 3/4 mile, one mile, one mile, 1/2 mile, then a 1/4 mile with a 1/4 mile recover jog in between each of those, and then the two-mile cool down. I felt pretty good and got excited watching the other groups run by because everybody looked strong and fast! Coach Wilson made us pancakes for breakfast afterwards, and then some girls went to the beach and walked to the lighthouse. I worked on writing a few essays for my law school applications, while others read, napped, or just vegged out. In the afternoon we ran around the Beachwalk neighborhood again and then did a weight circuit in the park. Little kids nearby where playing a baseball game and making odd noises which kept things entertaining while we were doing push-ups and many other exercises. H's (a.k.a. Lindsay Hattendorf) mom and older sister drove from Joliet, Ill. to make us dinner while Coach drove to a nearby high school meet to watch a recruit. Per tradition, we later went out for Dairy Queen before returning for another episode of the addictingly stupid Dolphin Cheerleaders show, we couldn't wait to see who got cut this time or who would make the calander.

    Wednesday, August 23, 2006:
    In the morning we drove to the Dunes State Park in Chesterton. After an easy run on the sandy trails, H, Coach Wilson, and I scoped out possible big dune sand hills for our hard workout the next day and found some good ones. In between runs, some people went to the beach while some of us sat around the beach house soaking up the nice weather and getting in some pleasure reading. We also liked to play cards with Coach's mom, who we call G-ma, and play games with Coach's rambunctious son, Hunter. Team Camp is a bunch of family fun, that's for sure! Our afternoon workout entailed another easy run and a stretching routine along with push-ups and sit ups. While we were bbqing up a little dinner Wednesday night, out of the blue the sky turned black and we were pelted by chunks of hail. A massive rainstorm ensued and all the clothes we had hanging on the balcony to dry were soaked and blown across the way. The power went out, but luckily all our food was ready so we sat there and ate dinner in the dark even though we probably should have been in the basement! The basement ended up flooding, though, and some of the girls had to work pretty hard to get some of the water out. There were no candles in the house, but when we went in the van to go buy some, we discovered that the damage had been severe and the roads into town were closed off by fallen trees and floods! Everyone went to bed early since there was not much we could do in the dark.

    Thursday, August 24, 2006:
    We were suppossed to do our super-hard-gut-buster-run-up-the-dunes-until-you-fall-over workout this morning, but it was thunderstorming. The power didn't come back on until about 6 a.m. that morning, but luckily most of our food in the fridge survived. We went through so many boxes of cereal in five days it was crazy. The team favorite is definately Quaker Oat Squares, those things are amazing, especially dipped in peanut butter, which we also went through like water! We may not be the heftiest team, but we can eat like champions! We ended up doing most of our workout on the roads around noon and then found a nearby sand dune and did five repeats up it. Coach got a head start but enticed us with free dinner for anyone who could overcome her lead and beat her to the top. After five times, a good portion of the team earned their evening grub! We went back and ate, sat around, took naps, stretched, etc. and then drove to Merriville to wonder the mall for awhile and then had a team dinner at Olive Garden.

    Friday, August 25, 2006:
    We drove back to the gravel path, but at the opposite end of where we ran Tuesday, and did one last run before breakfast, packing, cleaning up the house, and heading home for good ol' Bloomington. Four hours and two bathroom stops later we were back in B-Town. Camp was low-key but fun and we not only got in some great training and a few laughs but also set the foundation for a successful season to come. Dream Big!



      Check back soon
      Indiana Sports Properties