Oct. 9, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - IUHoosiers.com will take a look at this year's newcomers on the Indiana women's cross country team. Next up is freshman Chelsea Blanchard.
Blanchard was a three-time all-stater in cross country and in the 3,200-meters at Carroll High School in Ft. Wayne. She holds the school record in the 4K (18;14), 1.600-meters (4:58) and 3,200-meters (10:49) and ended her high school career ranked among the top-10 academically.
Setting the Pace With Chelsea Blanchard
1. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
Cathedral Cove, Coromandel - I saw a picture of it in a magazine and have wanted to go ever since.
2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Still running, having a family, and a career I really enjoy...basically living a happy life.
3. Who has been the biggest influence in your life and why?
Well besides my family I would have to say Mr. Kilmer. He was my high school art teacher, neighbor, and a sort of "unofficial" coach. He has helped me with a lot of important decisions over the years. I can honestly say I wouldn't be in the position I am in without his help. He's a pretty cool guy.
4. What is your favorite childhood memory?
We have a cabin in Michigan and I have a lot of good memories playing in the wilderness with my younger brother.
5. Something that many people don't know about you is:
I really love peanut M&M's - like a lot.
6. The teammate I most admire is who, and why?
I love them ALL! I'm lucky to have a solid set of teammates.
7. Name one thing that you wish you were better at?
I wish I was musically inclined ... I have always wanted to play the piano.
8. What makes Indiana special from any other program?
We have our athletic trainer Shinbo (Sugiura)!
9. What do you like best about Coach Helmer?
He knows what he is doing!
10. What are your goals for this year?
RUN FAST, get good grades, and enjoy the college experience.