The mission of Greening Cream and Crimson is to improve the sustainable systems within the Athletic Department that are already in place, and create a long-term strategic sustainability plan that emphasizes our vision of being the Greenest Athletics Department within the Big Ten.
Indiana University Athletics has a long-standing tradition of commitment to the state of Indiana, the community of Bloomington and our loyal students, staff, and faculty. Greening Cream and Crimson helps promote a strong connection between the IU Office of Sustainability and the Athletics Department, to ensure that everyone is working toward the same goals throughout the University. Since the implementation of the Greening Cream and Crimson program, many sustainability initiatives have been successfully applied within the Indiana University Athletics Department, as seen below.
During the 2014-2015 year we hope to improve on the steps that have already been taken, and create an atmosphere within the Athletics community that prides itself on forward-thinking green practices. We greatly appreciate your support as we Green Cream and Crimson!
- Began Shoe and Clothes Recycling Drive internally with student-athletes and department staff
- The first semester we collected over 300 pairs of shoes
- The second semester we collected 218 pairs of shoes and 362 IU apparel items
- Partnering with JB Salvage to implement a composting pilot program for both day-to-day operations and game days
- Expanded recycling game day efforts to include Bart Kauffman and Any Mohr Fields
- Placed paired recycling and landfill bins with posters inside each facility
- Worked with SAAC and the IU Office of Sustainability Peer Educators to promote sustainable food consumption among student-athletes.
- Enhanced the mission of Greening Cream and Crimson to encompass six focus areas
- Everyday Recycling
- Game Day Recycling
- Sustainability Education
- Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC) Initiatives
- Green Travel Options
- Sustainable Construction
- Improved overall branding and visibility of Greening Cream and Crimson on the Indiana University Campus.
- Increased overall diversion rate of the football season to 55%, with a game high of 7% during the EPA GameDay Challenge.
- Extended recycling initiatives to include Memorial Stadium, and paired recycling and landfill bins with posters inside Memorial Stadium.
- Ensured that every desk within the athletics department had a desk-side recycling bin and a "what can be recycled" sticker.
- Created a Sustainability Liaison position on the SAAC Executive Board.
- Increased our tailgate waste diversion to 54% during the 2012 Game Day Challenge recycling competition, from 37% in 2011.
- Volunteers handed out new IU Athletics-branded tailgate recycling bags
- New bag dispensers were located in the tailgate lots
- Increased the number of recycling bins and dumpsters
- Recycling PSA with IU athletes played at Memorial Stadium
- Analyzed total energy and water use by month for all available metered buildings
- Athletics facilities included in campus-wide energy audit
- New opportunities for energy conservation identified
- Gained a better understanding how Athletics' staff view of sustainability through survey research and statistical analyses
- Added new bicycle racks in areas surrounding Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall
- Createed new educational material so fans better understand tailgate rules and regulations, both green practices and non-green practices
- Launched the student organization to work directly with the IU Athletic Department to create and support sustainable practices (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information)
- Expanded our game-day initiatives to promote more student awareness and involvement
- Implemented a fan-based tailgate recycling competition where fans collected and turned in bags of recyclables to win prizes
- Initiated the Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale (H2H) to benefit Bloomington nonprofits and reduce move-out waste. For more information, visit Hooser to Hoosier
Kristine Fowler, Associate Athletic Director: (812) 856-6075, email@example.com
Amanda Redfern, Greening Cream & Crimson Intern: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check back soon